South Georgia Plantation House

South Georgia 

SPITZMILLER & NORRIS

South Georgia Plantation House

Winner Excellence in Preservation Award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation

Built in the vernacular Greek Revival style, the house was constructed in 1839. Simple in detail, the house was nonetheless spacious and pleasant to inhabit owing to its logical and sensible plan arrangement where rooms flank a wide central hall. “The house remained in the original family until the early twentieth century.  Fifty years later, a daughter of the original family, married a son of the second owners, bringing the plantation back into the original family.” “This familial lineage caused a keen desire to return the plantation to its original stateliness.”

In planning a sensitive renovation of the old house the owners were most interested in retaining the character of the interior plaster walls and wooden plank ceilings.  Window and door casings, as well as the heart pine floors are all original and were systematically cleaned, repaired and refinished. It was decided to enlarge the house to accommodate a master suite, a kitchen and a family room.  The careful preservation and renovation of this handsome early house, on its original site, is of tremendous importance to the community, the state and nation – not only as a record of our history, but as an example of how delightful the results of saving and reusing a historic structure can be.

Landscape by Edward Daugherty